Bananas; just like their old friend, the avocado, there is a fine line between the perfect time of ripeness and being summoned to the freezer (no waste!). So, the next time you have two overripe bananas staring at you from the fruit bowl, bring them back to life with this ridiculously good banana bread recipe.
I’ve made, and eaten, quite a few banana breads in my short lifetime, and without any biased influence, this one is by far my fave! This recipe is nut-free, so those with nut allergies and sensitivities don’t miss out! It uses coconut flour instead of the usual almond meal base, and tahini to keep it spongey and nutritious! It is predominantly sweetened by the banana, with only a small addition of honey, which you can choose to leave out if you like, and the inclusion of egg and coconut oil add further to the list of healthy fats in this recipe.
So, taking into consideration all of the blood sugar balancing, fibre and fat rich ingredients, a slice of this banana bread makes a great little mid morning or arvo snack. Also, just to add to its amazingness, it is so damn easy to make!
– 2 small/medium sized bananas (approx 350g total)
– 2 eggs (room temperature)
– 1/4 cup tahini
– 1/2 cup coconut flour
– 2 TBSP coconut oil
– 2 TBSP honey
– 1 tsp vanilla essence
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp baking powder (GF)
– 1/2 tsp bi-carb
– 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 175℃, and line a small loaf tin with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork.
3. Add the tahini, honey, coconut oil and vanilla to the banana and mix with an electric beater until combined. One at a time, add the eggs and beat until combined.
4. With the mixer on low, add the coconut flour, baking powder, bi-carb, salt and cinnamon until just mixed through. Swap to a spoon to combine thoroughly.
5. Pour mixture into loaf tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until just brown and firmish to touch.
* I know this is a great nut-free recipe, but if you’re fine with eating nuts, then give this guy a go served with natural peanut butter! YUM!