When I was younger, I loved cereal. I would eat it for breakfast, the occasional lunch and would’ve happily had it for dinner too if mum didn’t cook – which never happened.
Knowing what I do now, I wouldn’t go near cereal. It is packed with so much sugar and crap that it shouldn’t even be considered a food, let alone a “healthy” breakfast option. I do understand why people love it so much because, although I have no desire to pour myself a bowl, I do miss the sensation of eating tasty little morsels with a bit of milk and, of course, slurping the flavoured milk left over at the end. I don’t feel as though anyone should deprive themselves of anything, so why not just find a healthy alternative instead?
This cacao granola doesn’t taste like cocoa pops or fruitloops or whatever other cereal you may love, but it does taste delicious and isn’t full of inedible crap. Instead, it is packed with nutritious and healthy ingredients, which will keep you feeling satisfied for much longer than regular cereal. Today, I enjoyed a small bowl of this with some almond milk as a snack and it was yummm! I added a drop of stevia and some vanilla essence to my milk (because I was having a sweet craving) and it was very satisfying. If you don’t want to add milk, then try it on top of some natural Greek yoghurt, coconut yoghurt, or just munch on it dry – just like a chocolatey trail mix!
Granola is something you can add whatever you want to, so add some different nuts, steel cut oats, pumpkin seeds – whatever! Experiment and find a combination you love.
– ½ cup cacao powder
– ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
– 1 ½ cup shredded or flaked coconut
– ½ cup buckwheat (soaked for 30 mins)
– ¼ cup sunflower seeds
– 3 TBSP chia seeds
– 2 TBSP whole flaxseeds
– 1 cup macadamias (roughly chopped)
– 1 cup cashews (roughly chopped)
– 2 TBSP rice malt syrup
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp vanilla essence
– pinch Himalayan pink salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 130℃ and line a flat baking tray with baking paper
2. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined
3. Spread the mixture evenly over the baking tray
4. Place in oven for approximately 25 minutes, making sure you check for burning along the way!
5. Remove from the oven and set aside to completely cool before storing. Enjoy!