Curries are something that my mum has embraced over the past few years, ever since we welcomed our Thermomix into the family. I must admit, I was a tad complacent at first because I am not the biggest curry fan, or at least, I wasn’t the biggest curry fan. Thanks to mum, the Thermomix, Pete Evans, and delicious, fresh spices and ingredients, I am now a curry convert.
Now, don’t stress, if you don’t have a Thermomix this recipe is easily re-created in a frypan on the stove and turns out just as good! It is incredibly flavoursome and fragrant and will leave your house, and potentially your pores, smelling of beautiful spices! (Don’t stress, just have a shower).
This yellow curry is always a hit with whoever is lucky enough to try it and will likely leave you wanting more. We choose to serve ours with cauliflower rice, fresh coriander, and usually some steamed green veggies.
So, if you know of a curry-hater, then whip this one up and just watch them convert!
– 500g organic chicken thighs (chopped into bite size pieces)
– 1 medium brown onion (diced)
– 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
– 1 inch piece of ginger (crushed or grated)
– 1 tsp dried coriander
– 1 ½ tsp cumin
– ¼ tsp nutmeg
– ¾ tsp turmeric
– ¼ tsp fennel seeds
– 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
– 3 TBSP fish sauce
– 2-4 kaffir lime leaves (depending on size of leaves)
– 1 TBSP palm sugar or coconut sugar
– 1 400mL can of coconut milk or cream
– 1 TBSP tomato paste
1. Heat coconut oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook chicken thighs until browned. Set aside while you prepare the curry sauce.
2. For the curry sauce, place the onion, ginger and garlic in large saucepan or frying pan with a few TBSP of coconut oil and fry for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the coriander, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric, fennel, cayenne and fish sauce and stir over low heat until a paste has formed.
4. Add kaffir lime leaves, sugar, coconut cream/milk, tomato paste and stir over medium heat until it starts to simmer.
5. Add chicken pieces, along with any juices, and cook over low heat until chicken is completely cooked through.
6. Serve and enjoy!