Winter is well and truly over, and summer is just around the corner.
Summer is my absolute favourite time of the year, and one thing I love most about it is enjoying a big BBQ outside on a warm Sunday afternoon. Dad cooks the meat (always to perfection) and mum and I prepare the veggies and salads.
Salads are one thing I love experimenting with, because there are no rules as to what you can put in them. Often, if its paired with a delicious dressing, then anything ends up tasting good!
Although salads consist predominantly of veggies and leaves and considered “healthy”, they’re often smothered in sugar and preservative laden dressing; completely ruining anything healthy about it. The classic coleslaw is a prime example.
So, that is why a few weeks ago I decided to create a completely healthy coleslaw as an accompaniment to our BBQ!
This coleslaw is packed with goodness and packs a punch in flavour.
I created mine with organic veggies, making it that much more nutritious, and added some toasted almonds which always go down a treat.
The dressing is based on one of my favourites- tahini! And paired with lemon, creates a tangy, creamy and delicious dressing.
So for anyone struggling to think of salads and side dishes for your summer BBQ or for any meal, give this one a try! I promise you won’t be disappointed.
– 1 TBSP tahini
– juice from half a lemon
– black pepper (to taste)
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– 1 tsp honey or rice malt syrup
– red cabbage, chopped
– fennel, finely sliced
– carrot, grated
– fresh mint, roughly chopped
– fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
– toasted, flaked or chopped, almonds
Note: I have not included measurements for the veggies as I usually just “guesstimate” and adjust according to how many serves I want. If you need more dressing, then just double it.
1. Combine the prepared cabbage, fennel, carrot, mint and parsley into a bowel
2. Place almonds in a fry pan on very low heat until toasted
3. Place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a small bowl, or jar, and whisk or shake until well combined. Make sure you taste and adjust if needed.
4. Pour the dressing over the veggies and mix well until they are coated
5. Top with toasted almonds